Friday, May 21, 2010

Summer looms

Despite the wet spring we've had in the Willamette there have been a handful of absolutely gorgeous, warm, sunny days. We erected a fantastic backyard canopy on our deck that provides a beautiful space for us to enjoy dinner on those warm evenings. We've even fired up the grill and enjoyed some delicious smoky fare. Lynnette has a knack for making perfect grill marks on both her chicken and the tofu Amy and I enjoy. Vegetables have made a large appearance as well: spring potatoes, red and yellow bell pepper, asparagus, and an assortment of summer squashes.

Summer is looming, and it's just a matter of weeks before this becomes our daily routine. With this all in mind I start thinking about quintessential summer beverages. For my purposes one thing comes to mind: gin and tonics.




However, there's plenty of excellent wine to quaff in the summer heat, and one of my favorites is Sauvignon blanc. With aromatics and flavors that include herbal, vegetal, and citrus qualities sauvignon blanc might just be the oenological equivalent of the G&T.

Sauvignon blanc hails from France where it is used for blending in Bordeaux, and on its own in the Loire Valley's Sancerre. Outside of France the grape has seen wide plantings around the world from South America to New Zealand to even the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Recently at Vino Paradiso in Portland's Pearl District I was thrilled to find a flight three Sauvignon blancs from around the world. And lucky me, it was the last day the flight was available. The three wines up for consideration:

2009 Willamette Valley, OR Sauvignon Blanc by Patricia Green Cellars

Appearance: clear, pale, gold with a soft green tinge
Nose: clean, medium-light intensity (perhaps it was too cold?); stone fruit, apple, grass, cut hay
Palate: dry, medium body, acidity, and finish, waxy mouthfeel as the acidity dissipates; lots of citrus, lime, stone fruit, tart green apple
2008 Reuilly AOC, FR Sauvignon Blanc by Denis Jamain

Appearance: clear, medium-pale intensity, golden yellow
Nose: clean, aromatic; grass, grapefruit, unripe cherries, citrus, lime
Palate: dry, medium-full body, medium-high acidity, long finish; fresh grapefruit and lemon
2008 Marlborough, NZ Ranga Ranga Sauvignon Blanc by Barker's Marque

Appearance: clear, medium intensity, golden yellow
Nose: clean, aromatic; grass, green vegetable, asparagus, pea shoots, citrus
Palate: dry, medium intensity and body, alcohol is slightly off balance, long finish; lemon and lime, green vegetal
Vino Paradiso via Google Maps
I have to say this was a fantastic flight (kudos to the folks at Vino Paradiso for putting together such an exemplary S.B. comparison). I kept going back and forth between each, swirling them and sticking my nose back in the glass. The aromatics alone were completely different for each wine. I've bolded those above which I think stood out the most between the three styles.

While each wine was very good and well priced—the D. Jamain maxes out as the priciest at just $20!—I have to claim the Reuilly as my favorite. This region is just southwest of Sancerre in the Loire Valley and focuses on whites made with sauvignon blanc and reds from pinot noir. The wine was knock-you-out-of-your-seat aromatic, had an amazing texture on the palate, great flavors and acidity, and a finish that had me licking my lips in anticipation for the next sip.

The Patty Green came in a close second ($18 retail) with the Ranga Ranga ($12) as my final choice.

All of these were great wines to enjoy throughout the summer on their own or with food. The classic pairing to Sauvignon blanc is chèvre but I'd quickly match these with salads, grilled veg, chicken (or tofu in my case), or anything in a light cream sauce.

So while I'm sure the limes, gin, and tonic water will be in great demand this summer I'm also looking forward to plenty more Sauvignon blanc as well.

Cheers!